Home » Headline » Olu Falae recounts ordeal:My two arms were cut with a machete and I slept in the open forest”
Olu Falae recounts ordeal:My two arms were cut with a machete and I slept in the open forest”
Chief Olu Falae: recounts his traumatic experience

Olu Falae recounts ordeal:My two arms were cut with a machete and I slept in the open forest”

Former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Chief Olu Falae, who was freed after spending four days in captivity, yesterday recounted his ordeal. Falae, who reunited with his family in Akure at about 4.30 pm, was welcomed home by a ecstatic crowd.

The one-time presidential aspirant noted that he slept on leaves in the open forest and his abductors kept moving him every four hours to avoid being tracked by security operatives. His two arms were cut with machete and his clothes were torn during his abduction, according to him.

The septuagenarian added that he trekked more than 30 kilometres from his Ilado farm in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, where he was abducted, to a place in Owo Local Government Area where he was kept during his captivity.

The former SGF was kidnapped on Monday by suspected Fulani herdsmen who stormed his farm in Ilado. But yesterday, Falae returned to his home in Akure, the state capital, in company with the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Solomon Arase, who led the rescue team. Arase and the family said no ransom was paid to the kidnappers before Falae was released.

However, Falae, who was visibly worried, said he did not sleep in one location during the four days he was in captivity. His kidnappers moved him from one location to another to avoid being caught by law enforcement agents.

He said his abductors were monitoring media reports and were moving him from one location to another within four hours, to avoid being detected. He said he suspected that the kidnappers were using the proceeds from their various crimes to fund Boko Haram as they told him that the N2 million being offered by his family, instead of the N100 million they initially demanded, was not enough to do anything.

Arase, who accompanied Falae to his house, said the police had been working to free the former SGF since his abduction and he was freed without anybody paying ransom to the kidnappers. He added that the police were working round the clock to stem kidnappings and other crimes. He said: “A security challenge like this is a new trend; it is not only localised in Nigeria, but it is a global thing. We are going to develop a strategy that hoodlums will never overwhelm a state.

His story:

Six armed Fulani men kidnapped him after shooting their way into his farm office at about 2.30 pm. From then till about 2 30 am, they walked non-stop throughout in the bush, not following any particular path. In the meantime, they had matcheted him on his two arms and tore his clothes

Eventually, they settled on a particular spot in the open forest and that became Chief Falae’s abode until his release. He was sleeping on leaves prepared for that purpose. Although they brought food for him, he declined it preferring a bottle of Coca-Cola per day.

When he was to be released, the kidnappers indicated that his release had been ordered by their boss. Apparently they were just the foot soldiers . Four of them first disappeared into the thin air. The remaining two announced his release and then started to lead him out. Then one disappeared into the bush. The remaining one led him into a road, left him there and crossed the road directly into the bush where there was no path at all.

Shortly after that, he saw a passerby who told him the side of the road that led to Owo. The man soon recognized him and helped to stop an okada which he took to the front of Imade College Owo. Then he crossed over to an hotel opposite the college and phoned his family. It was then about 2.30 pm. Then the police came to take him to the office of the DPO where a policeman gave him a buba and soro with which he changed his clothes. He was later joined by his wife and the IGP who then led him back to Akure at about 4.20 pm


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: