Home » Headline » Nigerian family of four perish in US fire incident
Nigerian family of four perish in US fire incident
The burnt house courtesy Lousiana Fire Marshal's Facebook page

Nigerian family of four perish in US fire incident

A Nigerian family of four had perished in a fire incident. Ojowori Jeremiah, 26, his pregnant wife, Ashley, 24, first son Halley, 5 and seven month old last boy are the casualties of the tragedy which occurred at their at t 201 Coleman Street in West Monroe  residence in Lousiana.

According to news reports the incident occured at 7:30am last Sunday, January 24. A neighbor who escaped unharmed, informed investigators that the structure lost electrical power at approximately 3:30 a.m. His account also reveals that Jeremiah Owojori had notified a duplex maintenance worker about 6:30 a.m. of a strange loss of electricity in his apartment. But the neighbour who chose to be anonymous was uncertain whether the family returned to sleep before being discovered by firefighters.

Officials say the older home, which had been converted into a duplex, housed two families at the time of the fire.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, they found 26-year-old Jeremiah Owojori, his wife, Ashley, 24, who is pregnant, and their 5-year-old and 7-month-old sons, in the single bedroom of one of the duplex portions of the structure. The victims were pulled from the fire and resuscitated Jeremiah Owojori and his 7-month-old son. The two were taken to an area hospital where they remain on life support.

Ashley Owojori and the couple’s 5-year-old son were taken to University Health hospital in Shreveport where they remain in critical condition. The family in the other side of the duplex escaped without injury and reportedly told investigators that the building lost electricity around 3:30 a.m.

During their investigation, fire officials say they found 3 electrical junction boxes in the attic where a decades-old wiring system, known as “knob and tube,” had been connected to more modern Romex wiring. Investigators say the fire originated in close proximity to the junction boxes and it is suspected that faulty wiring caused the blaze.

Fire officials say there were no smoke alarms installed in either of the two units.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: